Saturday, November 21, 2009

Lantern Walk with our Waldorf friends






What a magical night. We sang songs together about Me, My lantern and I and This Little Light of Mine. Fyn asked for more when we were done, with word and sign. It was fun to see everyone, and to hear the story of St. Martin cutting his cloak in half to share with a weary traveler who turns out to be someone royal. Then we hiked into the woods for two miles! Fyn fell asleep about halfway, and we fell way behind. Thankfully, another small group helped us find our way back.

The lanterns ranged from beautiful watercolors to recycled cans and jars. Ours was made from an old salsa jar, some heavy wire, mulberry paper, a glue stick and a pillar candle in the last five minutes before leaving the house. Amanda and Terry's was an old canning jar with a braided yarn handle and a taper candle stuck into sand. Eric made his from some big old coffee cans. He put holes in the sides and really long handles with twine, tapers in sand on the bottom. I used one of these and it was smart to have it close to the ground, so I could see, and not too close to my hand.

Next year maybe I'll have a different design...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sweater your little guy is wearing is gorgeous! did you make it? it looks like pieced together felted sweaters...
i like your blog, thanks for sharing:)
-alyssa
http://misswrangler.blogspot.com/

Victoria Velting said...

Thanks! It is made from felted sweaters, and I have a few more in my etsy shop www.victoriavelting.etsy.com
and I do custom work too! Right now I'm working on an adult version. I'll let you know how it goes...