Sunday, June 7, 2009

a peek into my studio...

Here it is! The new sewing table, complete with a newly organized set of shelves, a thread shelf and a vertical sewing box (I stuck it all my bulletin board with pins!). Lately, I've found myself in there just reveling in all the organization and it makes me want to work! Creativity is an amazing gift, although somewhat unpredictable!

The table is tall, so I can stand at it and sew. The idea was to have a place where I could work without a chair, since my little monkey is climbing on everything. When I'm not using a machine, I'm learning to switch it off right away. He did find the pedal today, so now I'll have to be extra diligent. There is room for them on the shelf underneath when they need to be stashed for vacuuming.


I love this table leg! It's a tree limb which had it's bark removed by squirrels!
For the skirt, I stapled some Designer's Guild linen onto the top, and spritzed it with water to remove the wrinkles. Ironing might have been easier, but I wanted to make sure it would work first, and then, there was no going back!


Now, this is deluxe! There are holes in the desktop next to each of my machines, so the cords go down underneath, rather than cluttering up the surface! Thank you, David Moehle, for the great ideas in addition to the workmanship! If you live in Northern Michigan, and are looking for custom wood design using recycled material, he's your guy!

Two fabric covered bulletin boards are covered with ephemera, inspired by a good friend, Marcy at Mecca Crystal Lake. There are some of her works here too (the ATC's on the left board). All you need is an old bulletin board, fabric and a staple gun. Mine were $.50 each at a yard sale a year ago. I love bulletin boards! The gorgeous brown dish was a gift from another crafty friend, and holds one of three magnetic pin cushion, scissors and other sewing

A serger scrapcatcher! I finally replaced the "storebought" bag that catches the serger scraps with a beautiful orange linen. It was a bit tricky to figure out how to get it attached to the padded base that goes under the serger, but I did it.

2 comments:

Resweater said...

Fabulous! All of it! I dream of one day having a space to work in. The kitchen table is my studio for now ;)

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

I love it - Very nice studio