Tuesday, April 5, 2011

revamped tanks to tunic


Three tanks for revamping. The tie dye is my favorite, it's from an art fair a few years ago, brightly twisted is the name I think...


First I cut the top of the aqua tank off, just below the trim. Then I cut a band of the green tank and made sure it was close to the same width around as the aqua tank. Since the aqua tank had a bit of a curve, I decided to keep that when I stitched it onto the band from the green tank, using a stretch stitch on my machine.


Then I cut off the top of the tie dye tank with my rotary cutter. It was quite a bit larger than the green and aqua tank, so I sewed it up a bit on the side seams and then slid it inside the other two tanks, right sides together, so I could stitch them up. Since the tie dye part was wider, I had to stretch the green part as I sewed.

If you are new to this technique, you will probably want to pin at the sides and then stretch to pin the front and back, so you have pins in four places. This is also how you would attach elastic if you were making something like underpants. (Yes, Ashlea, I'm thinking of you!) Then you just stretch each section as you sew to make it even.


Then I topstitched both the top and bottom with a stretch stitch to get them to lay a bit flatter. I could have ironed it a bit, but didn't get that far yet...


5 comments:

farmgirlstudio said...

Oh, I love it!!! Wow, it is beautiful!!!

Deb said...

Super cute!

colleen said...

i love it! i need to find some cute tanks now. :)

Rachel M said...

Wow that's gorgeous! I love the wool wrap skirt in your last post as well. :)

farmgirlstudio said...

I am so glad that I got this shirt from you at the sale this weekend. Whoohooooo!!! I just love it!!!